Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Deaf stress

I can't wait to get a Sorenson videophone. Relay calls are so frustrating! Today I got yet another person hung up on me because they had "clients" they were taking care of on the other phone line and "didn't have time for this". Good thing I know my vet's fax number, cuz I faxed them asking them to please either call back thru Relay or fax me back to get an appt. Finally got my appt., but this whole process took nearly an hour.

Using the telephone is such a HUGE barrier for me. I procrastinate like crazy every time I have to make a call, cuz I know it will take a ridiculous amount of time to get something accomplished which my hearing husband, or any hearing person for that matter would take 2 minutes to accomplish by phone. There are so many sources of stress, anger, and frustration trying to deal with communication. Sometimes I think I must be the only one that gets so frustrated by this stuff, until a chance turn in a conversation reveals that I am definitely not alone. I was surprised by how much frustration came out of my pastor when we ended up talking about it. So I guess there is a lot more frustration from others, they just don't show it like I do.


No comments: